“Mediterranean Diet is a delicious, pleasurable, and very healthful way to eat”
In a conference with the WHO and Harvard School of Public Health that happened way back in 1993, it has been agreed when the Oldways organization said this statement.
Mediterranean diet has proved a lot since its birth.
The Mediterranean diet is named after countries that border the Mediterranean Sea, including Greece, Italy and Turkey.
The people there traditionally eat a lot of vegetables and fruits every day.
The main fat used in cooking is olive oil, which has healthy monounsaturated fats and antioxidants.
Nuts, legumes such as beans and lentils, fish and other seafood are also a big part of the traditional menus around the Mediterranean, as is red wine in moderation.
This style of eating is mainly plant-based.
Red meat, highly processed foods, and added sugar are not consumed in large quantities like they are in the typical American diet.
It became popularly known as a heart protector and long life dietary pattern.
When you’re on this diet, you will enjoy the blessings of healthy eating with a glass of red wine foods with a flavorful dash of olive oil. Sounds very delicious!
Mediterranean diet’s basic ingredients include fresh, healthy foods, a glass of wine and olive oil which are really the beat part of this diet.
Health Benefits of Mediterranean Diet
The benefits of the Mediterranean style of eating are many.
- This type of diet reduces the risk factors for heart disease because it lowers high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
- It helps prevent Type 2 diabetes and decreases the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
- People with Type 2 diabetes often see their health improve on this type of diet.
- Foods in this diet are low in saturated fat and high in monounsaturated fat and dietary fiber.
- Wine, likewise, has great health benefits because of the flavonoids and powerful antioxidant properties it has.
- Olive oils which are rich in monounsaturated fats, especially the oleic acid.
Now, we have only mentioned a few ingredients of this diet and their benefits.
How about the other healthy ingredients of this Mediterranean diet?
The list includes:
- Healthy fats. Mediterranean diet chooses the best healthy fats that you can have. This includes monounsaturated fat found in olive oil, nuts, and avocados, omega-3 fatty acids found in fishes like salmon and tuna.
- Speaking of omega-3 fatty acids, Mediterranean diet, again, is known as the heart protector. This diet is rich in omega-3 fats and doesn’t reduce only heart attacks but also hypertension and strokes.
- Less meat. You see, Mediterranean diet is most likely to be called a vegetarian’s diet. They feast on vegetables and fishes a lot more than feasting on meat.
- Fruits. These have been a daily dessert in a Mediterranean diet. Sweet cakes are out. After enjoying the meal, you can feast on fruits like pineapples, mangoes and watermelons. The healthy supply from the meal itself will not stop there, fruits and its minerals plus the fiber it contains will follow next.
This will really help you submit yourself in a healthy living with a lesser possibility of heart diseases.
The Mediterranean Diet will bring you peace of mind and a happy life.
That all sound like good reasons to adopt some eating habits from around the Mediterranean.